Help With Arthritis As Dogs Age.
✨Chondroitin and Glucosamine ✨
Two star words of the health industry, and for good reason. These two key words are structural components of cartilage, and are produced naturally in the body by humans and dogs alike.
As we get older, cartilage wears down causing joint stiffness and pain. Some studies have shown that the figure can be as high as 80% of dogs suffering with joint pain once they reach the age of 7, even over the age of just 1 this figure can be up to 20% of dogs.
Chondroitin and glucosamine have been proven to maintain the health and resiliency of joints and connective tissue, slowing down and easing ailments such as arthritis.
What can we do? Well, yes, supplements can always be added to a diet but they tend to be fairly costly, so why not keep it natural?
What do we recommend?
Look at their diet. Is it providing everything they need? If your dog is not eating well, any deficiencies are going to flare up.
Are they being supplemented with natural treats rich in chondroitin and glucosamine? In short, the food has pretty much everything the dog needs to age well and minimise joint pain.
1. Cut out inflammatory food sources. Wheat, barley, white potato, pea starches, animal by-products...are all inflammatory. Turn the bag of food around, check the ingredients.
2. Feed meat, cartilage and bone in natural form. Pig ears, beef tails, ostrich bones, beef achilles...All these contain the very ingredients supplements have, only they are cheaper and much better!
3. Don't have an obese dog. Lean the dog. All dogs need to be in top condition, but if they are carrying excess weight, their joints will suffer.
4. Healthy exercise, swimming or hydrotherapy. These can help minimise impact on joints.
5. Green lipped mussel, chondroitin & glucosamine tablets, salmon/cod liver oil. these can help, but it's much better to feed the dog better consistently and naturally. Exposure to the sun is much better than taking Vitamin D tablets.
By getting the diet and treats right from as early as possible, you're giving your dog the best possible chance of living a happy and healthy life for as long as possible! 💜
Have a question? Call today on 01642 903650 or pop in store for a friendly chat.