Bonfire night can be a minefield for many pet parents. In this article you will learn what to do if, like many others, you have an anxious pet during the fireworks.
Just for the record, I will be also following these steps with my dog and cat.
1. Don't make a big deal: If you start to flinch and look concerned when there's noise outside, your pet will pick on it.
2. Prepare: Don't leave it until last minute. Pets like routine. If they see you pacing up and down the house, they will notice. In preparation, don't change their routine too much.
3. Plan food accordingly: Some dogs vomit when they are stressed. If that's the case for your dog, make sure you maybe fast the dog until after the fireworks.
When it comes to products, you want to look out for some of these ingredients:
- Valerian root, L-Tryptophan (supports serotonin production), chamomile, scullcap, fish oils & mistletoe.
Best Supplements for Bonfire Night:
- Calming Supplements for Dogs.
- Nutripaw Calming Treats.
- Valerian Calming Compounds
- Adaptil Plug
- Zylkene Calming Supplements.
Some calming products will come in calming tablet form, others in liquid.
Caution: Read the prospect and make sure you are not under dosing your dog. A common mistake we see all the time is that people do not dose their dog or cat correctly.